Frequently Asked Questions
The best way to get your questions answered is simply to call us on the number above, that way, you can ask us any other questions you might have on the spot. We do not subcontract to any external call centres, you will be speaking to an actual member of the staff team every time you call in. In addition, you can find answers to the main questions we get asked, below.
1. About our care
- What sort of help do your carers provide?
- How soon can you start providing care?
- Will my carer take me out?
- Do your carers assist with medication?
2. About the costs
3. About our carers
- Will I have the same carer all the time?
- Do you employ your carers directly?
- What checks do you carry out before employing a new carer?
- What training do your carers receive?
- Do your carers help with housework?
3. About our Care
1.1. What sort of help do your carers provide?
Your carer can support you in a variety of ways, including:
- assisting with personal care, such as getting up, dressing, bathroom visits, showering/bathing, overseeing medication and collecting prescriptions
- providing companionship, for example talking about the news, playing games or assisting with reading of books or newspapers etc.
- assisting with household tasks, such as cooking, cleaning, laundry and shopping
- helping with administration, such as form-filling, letter writing or making phone calls etc.
- helping you maintain your social life, for example with trips out or visiting friends.
1.3. How soon can you start providing care?
Before care can start, a Car Manager would visit to discuss your requirements at a time of your choice. Following this, we can generally start providing care within seven days.
1.4. Will my carer take me out?
Yes, provided it is safe, your carer will encourage you to go out as much as you wish, and will be happy to go with you.
1.5. Do your carers assist with medication?
Yes, and our carers are fully trained and updated annually to do this.
2. About the costs
2.1. How much is my care likely to cost?
This will depend on what type of support you require. Please contact us for up to date details of our charges
2.2. Are there any extra, hidden charges?
The only extra cost is for mileage if you want your support worker to take you out in their car
2.3. Can I get help with payments?
Some people might be entitled to financial help
For more information on help with funding your care you can:
Telephone Care Direct 0845 1551 007
or get the most up to date information from the following websites
3. About our carers
If you wish to know even more about our carers than is answered in these FAQs below, see our Carers page.
3.1. Will I have the same carer all the time?
You will have a regular team of care workers who visit you at regular times. We try to provide support at your preferred times. Sometimes there is a need to make a change to one of the team, this could be because they are unwell or on holiday.
3.2. Do you employ your carers directly?
Yes, all of our staff are employed by us we are not just an employment or introduction agency for carers.
This means we are responsible for all of our staff and the quality of their work.
3.3. What checks do you carry out before employing a new carer?
Staff have to attend an interview, if selected to join our team we take up at least two references and undertake a Disclosure and Barring Service check, to make sure they are suitable for the position.
3.4. What training do your carers receive?
At Helping Hands we pride ourselves on our training programme, this is delivered by a registered Nurse. The training includes nationally recognised qualifications
Yes. They will take care of the home and do the regular housework. They will also cook all meals as required.